cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shul...@zalando.de>
Subject Re: Drop TTLd rows: upgradesstables -a or scrub?
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2018 08:04:17 GMT
On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 9:47 AM Oleksandr Shulgin <
oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 9:31 AM Steinmaurer, Thomas <
> thomas.steinmaurer@dynatrace.com> wrote:
>
>> As far as I remember, in newer Cassandra versions, with STCS, nodetool
>> compact offers a ā€˜-sā€™ command-line option to split the output into files
>> with 50%, 25% ā€¦ in size, thus in this case, not a single largish SSTable
>> anymore. By default, without -s, it is a single SSTable though.
>>

> Thanks Thomas, I've also spotted the option while testing this approach.

Yet another surprising aspect of using `nodetool compact` is that it
triggers major compaction on *all* nodes in the cluster at the same time.
I don't see where this is documented and this was contrary to my
expectation.  Does this behavior make sense to anyone?  Is this a bug?  The
version is 3.0.

--
Alex