cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Visa <liguilin2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alter table
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2018 01:43:54 GMT
Thanks for all the inputs! We’ll stick to the current approach then.

How about dropping columns - If we also stop writes beforehand, we should be safe from data
alignment issue after dropping columns?

Thanks,
Li

> On Jul 31, 2018, at 04:14, James Shaw <jxyshaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> in a heavy transaction PROD env, it is risk, considering c* has a lot of bugs.
> the DDL has to be replicated to all nodes,  use nodetool describecluster to check schema
version same on all nodes, if not,  you may restart that node which DDL not replicated.
> in new version, DDL is none or all,  you may not get it success.
>
> It is similar to rdbms,  alter table in a heavy transaction PROD env, may get resource
busy error.

> in non-prod, we always apply new DDL without stop applications, never had issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>

>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 1:37 AM, Jeff Jirsa <jjirsa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is safe (and normal, and good) in all versions except those impacted by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13004

>> So if you're on 2.1, 2.2, or 3.11 you're fine
>>
>> If you're on 3.0 between 3.0.0 and 3.0.13, you should upgrade first (to newest 3.0,
probably 3.0.17)
>> If you're on a version between 3.1 and 3.10, you should upgrade first (to newest
3.11, probably 3.11.3)

>> - Jeff
>>

>>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 10:16 PM, Visa <liguilin2015@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have one question about altering schema. If we only add columns, is it ok to
alter the schema while the writes to the table are happening at the same time? We can control
that the writes will not touch the new columns until the schema change is done. Or better
to stop the writes to that table first.