cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Singh <rahul.xavier.si...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apache cassandra development process and future
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2018 15:49:39 GMT
YuuuugaByte!!! <— another Cassandra “compliant" DB - not sure if they forked C* or wrote
Cassandra in go. ;)
https://github.com/YugaByte/yugabyte-db

Datastax is Cassandra compliant — and can use the same sstables at least until 6.0 (which
uses a patched version of  “4.0” which is 2-5x faster) — and has the same actual tools
that are in the OS version.

Here are some signals from the big players that are understanding it’s power and need.

1. Azure CosmosDB has a C* compliant API - seems like Managed C* under the hood. They used
ElasticSearch to run their Azure Search …
2. Oracle now has a Datastax offering
3. Mesosphere offers supported versions of Cassandra and Datastax
4. Kubernetes and related purveyors use Cassandra as prime example as a part of a Kubernetes
backed cloud agnostic orchestration framework
5. What Alain mentioned earlier.

--
Rahul Singh
rahul.singh@anant.us

Anant Corporation
On Jul 18, 2018, 9:35 AM -0400, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com>, wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's a complex topic that has already been extensively discussed (at least for the part
about Datastax). I am sharing my personal understanding, from what I read in the mailing
list mostly:

> > Recently Cassandra eco system became very fragmented
>
> I would not put Scylladb in the same 'eco system' than Apache Cassandra. I believed it
is inspired by Cassandra and claim to be compatible with it up to a certain point, but it's
not the same software, thus not the same users and community.

> About Datastax, I think they will give you a better idea of their position by themselves
here or through their support. I believe they also communicated about it already. But in any
case, I see Datastax more in the same 'eco system' than Scylladb. Datastax uses a patched/forked
version of Cassandra (+ some other tools integrated with Cassandra and support). Plus it goes
both ways, Datastax greatly contributed to making Cassandra what it is now and relies on it
(or use to do so at least). I don't think that's the case for Scylladb I don't see that much
interest in connection/exchanges with Scylladb, I mean no more than exchanging about DynamoDB for
example. We can make standards, compatibles features, compare performances, etc, but it's
not the same code base.

> > Since Datastax used to be the major participant to Cassandra
> > development and now it looks it goes on is own way, what is going to
> > be with the Apache Cassandra?
>
> Well, this is a fair point, that was discussed in the past, but to make it short, Apache
Cassandra is not dead or anything close. There is a lot of activity. Some people are stepping
out, other stepping in, and other companies and individual are actively contributing to Cassandra.
A version 4.0 of Cassandra is being actively worked on at the moment. If these topics are
of interest, you might want to join the "Cassandra dev" mailing list (http://cassandra.apache.org/community/).

> > If there are any other active participants in development?
>
> Yes, directly or by open sourcing internal tools quite a few companies have contributed
and continue to contribute to the Apache Cassandra ecosystem. I invite you to have a look
directly at this dev mailing list and check people's email, profiles or companies. Check
the Jira as well :). I am not into doing this kind of stuff that much myself, I am not following
this closely but I can name for sure Apple, Netflix, The Last Pickle (my company), Instaclustr
I believe as well and many others that I am sorry not to name here.

> Some people are working on Apache Cassandra for years and are around to help regularly,
they changed company but are still working on Cassandra, or even changed company to work more
with Apache Cassandra in some cases.

> > I'm also interested which distribution is the most popular at the
> > moment in production?
>
> I would say now you should start with C*3.0.last or C* 3.11.last. It seems to be the
general consensus in the mailing list lately.