cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jon Haddad <...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject Re: nodetool repair and compact
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2018 04:45:36 GMT
You’ll find the answers to your questions (and quite a bit more) in this blog post from my
coworker: http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2016/07/27/about-deletes-and-tombstones.html <http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2016/07/27/about-deletes-and-tombstones.html>

Repair doesn’t clean up tombstones, they’re only removed through compaction.  I advise
taking care with nodetool compact, most of the time it’s not a great idea for a variety
of reasons.  Check out the above post, if you still have questions, ask away.

> On Apr 1, 2018, at 9:41 PM, Xiangfei Ni <xiangfei.ni@cm-dt.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>   I want to delete the expired tombstone, someone uses nodetool repair ,but someone uses
compact,so I want to know which one is the correct way,
>   I have read the below pages from Datastax,but the page just tells us how to use the
command,but doesn’t tell us what it is exactly dose,
>   https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/tools/toolsRepair.html <https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/tools/toolsRepair.html>
>    could anybody tell me how to clean the tombstone and give me some materials include
the detailed instruction about the nodetool command and options?Web link is also ok.