cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jon Haddad <...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject Re: Text or....
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2018 15:10:51 GMT
Depending on the compression rate, I think it would generate less garbage on the Cassandra
side if you compressed it client side.  Something to test out.

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 7:19 AM, Jeff Jirsa <jjirsa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Compressing server side and validating checksums is hugely important in the more frequently
used versions of cassandra - so since you probably want to run compression on the server anyway,
I’m not sure why you’d compress it twice

> --
> Jeff Jirsa
>

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 6:23 AM, DuyHai Doan <doanduyhai@gmail.com <mailto:doanduyhai@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Compressing client-side is better because it will save:
>>
>> 1) a lot of bandwidth on the network
>> 2) a lot of Cassandra CPU because no decompression server-side
>> 3) a lot of Cassandra HEAP because the compressed blob should be relatively small
(text data compress very well) compared to the raw size

<mailto:jeronimo.barros@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We use a pseudo file-system table where the chunks are blobs of 64 KB and we never
had any performance issue.

>> Primary-key structure is ((file-uuid), chunck-id).
>>
>> Jero
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 9:25 AM, shalom sagges <shalomsagges@gmail.com <mailto:shalomsagges@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> A certain application is writing ~55,000 characters for a single row. Most of these
characters are entered to one column with "text" data type.