cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <jji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Text or....
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2018 14:19:57 GMT
Compressing server side and validating checksums is hugely important in the more frequently
used versions of cassandra - so since you probably want to run compression on the server anyway,
I’m not sure why you’d compress it twice

--
Jeff Jirsa

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 6:23 AM, DuyHai Doan <doanduyhai@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Compressing client-side is better because it will save:
>
> 1) a lot of bandwidth on the network
> 2) a lot of Cassandra CPU because no decompression server-side
> 3) a lot of Cassandra HEAP because the compressed blob should be relatively small (text
data compress very well) compared to the raw size

>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Jeronimo de A. Barros <jeronimo.barros@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We use a pseudo file-system table where the chunks are blobs of 64 KB and we never
had any performance issue.

>> Primary-key structure is ((file-uuid), chunck-id).
>>
>> Jero
>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 9:25 AM, shalom sagges <shalomsagges@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A certain application is writing ~55,000 characters for a single row. Most of
these characters are entered to one column with "text" data type.