cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <>
Subject Re: Is there any limit in the number of partitions that a table can have
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2018 14:36:03 GMT
There is no limit

The token range of murmur3 is 2^64, but Cassandra properly handles token overlaps (we use
a key that’s effectively a tuple of the token/hash and the underlying key itself), so having
more than 2^64 partitions won’t hurt anything in theory

That said, having that many partitions would be an incredibly huge data set, and unless modeled
properly, would be very likely to be unwieldy in practice.

Tables without clustering keys are often deceptively expensive to compact, as a lot of work
(relative to the other cell boundaries) happens on partition boundaries.

Jeff Jirsa

> On Mar 7, 2018, at 3:06 AM, Javier Pareja <> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have been trying to find an answer to the following but I have had no luck so far:
> Is there any limit to the number of partitions that a table can have?
> Let's say a table has a partition key an no clustering key, is there a recommended limit
on the number of values that this partition key can have? Is it recommended to have a clustering
key to reduce this number by storing several rows in each partition instead of one row per
> Regards,
> F Javier Pareja

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: