cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Hannu Kröger <>
Subject Re: Setting min_index_interval to 1?
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2018 08:42:41 GMT
Wouldn’t that still try to read the index on the disk? So you would just potentially have
all keys on the memory and on the disk and reading would first happen in memory and then on
the disk and only after that you would read the sstable.

So you wouldn’t gain much, right?

> On 2 Feb 2018, at 02:25, Nate McCall <> wrote:
> Another was the crazy idea I started with of setting min_index_interval to 1. My guess
was that this would cause it to read all index entries, and effectively have them all cached
permanently. And it would read them straight out of the SSTables on every restart. Would this
work? Other than probably causing a really long startup time, are there issues with this?
> I've never tried that. It sounds like you understand the potential impact on memory and
startup time. If you have the data in such a way that you can easily experiment, I would like
to see a breakdown of the impact on response time vs. memory usage as well as where the point
of diminishing returns is on turning this down towards 1 (I think there will be a sweet spot

View raw message