cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jacques-Henri Berthemet <>
Subject RE: Secondary Indexes C* 3.0
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2018 10:11:58 GMT
A very interesting and detailed article, thank you DuyHai. I think this should be part of general
Cassandra documentation.

Jacques-Henri Berthemet

From: DuyHai Doan []
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:04 PM
To: user <>
Subject: Re: Secondary Indexes C* 3.0

Read this:<>

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 6:44 PM, Akash Gangil <<>>
To provide more context, I was going through this<>

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Akash Gangil <<>>
I was wondering if there are recommendations around the cardinality of secondary indexes.

As I understand an index on a column with many distinct values will be inefficient. Is it
because the index would only direct me to the specfic sstable, but then it sequentially searches
for the target records? So a wide range of the index could lead to a lot of ssltable options
to traverse?
Though what's unclear is what the recommended (or benchmarked?) limit, is it the index must
have 100 distinct values, or can it have upto 1000 or 50000 distinct values?

View raw message