cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Oleksandr Shulgin <>
Subject Re: storing indexes on ssd
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2018 07:59:07 GMT
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:46 PM, Dan Kinder <> wrote:

> On a single node that's a bit less than half full, the index files are 87G.

That's not small, true.  Out of curiosity: how much data per node do you
have in total?

How will OS disk cache know to keep the index file blocks cached but not
> cache blocks from the data files? As far as I know it is not smart enough
> to handle that gracefully.

Given the total size of index files it sounds unlikely that your indexes
will reside fully in memory, unless you can afford to have much smaller
nodes.  In that light lvmcache could be the solution you're looking for

Re: ram expensiveness, see
> prices-roof-stuck-way -- it's really not an important point though, ram
> is still far more expensive than disk, regardless of whether the price has
> been going up.

That's an interesting perspective, thanks for sharing.

View raw message