cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Steinmaurer, Thomas" <>
Subject cassandra.yaml configuration for large machines (scale up vs. scale out)
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2017 13:34:10 GMT

I know that Cassandra is built for scale out on commodity hardware, but I wonder if anyone
can share some experience when running Cassandra on rather capable machines.

Let's say we have a 3 node cluster with 128G RAM, 32 physical cores (16 per CPU socket), Large
Raid with Spinning Disks (so somewhere beyond 2000 IOPS).

What are some recommended cassandra.yaml configuration / JVM settings, e.g. we have been using
with something like that as a first baseline:

*         31G heap, G1, -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=2000

*         concurrent_compactors: 8

*         compaction_throughput_mb_per_sec: 128

*         key_cache_size_in_mb: 2048

*         concurrent_reads: 256

*         concurrent_writes: 256

*         native_transport_max_threads: 256

Anything else we should add to our first baseline of settings?

E.g. although we have a key cache of 2G, nodetool info gives me only 0.451 as hit rate:

Key Cache              : entries 2919619, size 1.99 GB, capacity 2 GB, 71493172 hits, 158411217
requests, 0.451 recent hit rate, 14400 save period in seconds

notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN
91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4040 Linz, Austria,
Freist?dterstra?e 313

View raw message