cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <>
Subject Re: sstablescrum fails with OOM
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2017 03:33:11 GMT
This is not guaranteed to be safe

If the corrupted sstable has a tombstone past gc grace, and another sstable has shadowed deleted
data, removing the corrupt sstable will cause the data to come back to life, and repair will
spread it around the ring

If that’s problematic to you, you should consider the entire node failed, run repair among
the surviving replicas and then replace the down server

If you don’t do deletes, and write with consistency higher than ONE, there’s a bit less
risk to removing a single sstable

Jeff Jirsa

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 7:58 PM, sai krishnam raju potturi <> wrote:
> Yes. Move the corrupt sstable, and run a repair on this node, so that it gets in sync
with it's peers.
>> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Shashi Yachavaram <> wrote:
>> We are cassandra 2.0.17 and have corrupted sstables. Ran offline sstablescrub but
it fails with OOM. Increased the MAX_HEAP_SIZE to 8G it still fails.
>> Can we move the corrupted sstable file and rerun sstablescrub followed by repair.
>> -shashi..

View raw message