cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <>
Subject Re: Materialized Views marked experimental
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2017 14:26:26 GMT

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 2:23 AM, Gábor Auth <> wrote:
> Hi,
>> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 11:10 PM Blake Eggleston <> wrote:
>> Following a discussion on dev@, the materialized view feature is being retroactively
classified as experimental, and not recommended for new production uses. The next patch releases
of 3.0, 3.11, and 4.0 will include CASSANDRA-13959, which will log warnings when materialized
views are created, and introduce a yaml setting that will allow operators to disable their
> Will the experimental classification later be withdrawn (the issue can be fixable)?
> Will the whole MV feature later be withdrawn (the issue can't be fixable)? :)

The experimental warning will be withdrawn when there’s confidence among committers that
the feature always does the right thing with your data.

The algorithm SEEMS safe (with the caveats Blake mentioned), and people DO use it in production,
we just want you to be aware that we’re not as confident in its safety as we are for the
more mature database features.
View raw message