The message is caused by the Gossip message exchanged. It doesn't have anything to do with the load on the cluster. I asked the same question on the datastax slack. This is the answer from one of the Datastax engineers (Erick Ramirez):

"`FailureDetector` checks if a node hasn't responded for 5 seconds before marking it as down, otherwise it doesn't do anything (ignores) if last response was within 5 seconds (`2002779703` 2 secs in your case)
what i'm trying to say is that you don't have to worry about anything"

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Jonathan Baynes <Jonathan.Baynes@tradeweb.com> wrote:

Thanks Jacob,

I’ve already seen this, but it doesn’t answer my question, as this is a production Cluster, which at present, has no data and is not being written too, its being built to go live shortly, so with no data, a Keyspace with a table designed but no data in it, only system databases, what on earth could be causing load on the cluster to cause the error message??

From: Jacob Shadix [mailto:jacobshadix@gmail.com]
Sent: 21 September 2017 12:34
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Understanding Messages in the Debug.log

check out this thread - https://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg52313.html

-- Jacob Shadix

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 4:56 AM, Jonathan Baynes <Jonathan.Baynes@tradeweb.com> wrote:

Good Morning Community,

Can anyone help me understand what these messages (and I have a lot of them in the log) mean, they must be a symptom of something but I am unsure how to starting working this out.

I’m using C* 3.0.11, CQL 5.0.1.

I have 6 node ring over 2 DC’s (3 in each DC) each of the nodes has this message in the log.

The message in the debug log is

DEBUG [GossipStage:1] 2017-09-21 09:19:52,627 FailureDetector.java:456 - Ignoring interval time of 2000275419

There are so many of these messages, I’d like to find the root cause of this, if anyone could help that would be great. Or if they can be ignored, how do I supress these?

Thanks

Jonathan Baynes

DBA
Tradeweb Europe Limited

Moor Place  •  1 Fore Street Avenue    London EC2Y 9DT
P +44 (0)20 77760988  •  F +44 (0)20 7776 3201  •  M +44 (0)xxxx xxxxxx

Jonathan.Baynes@tradeweb.com

cid:image001.jpg@01CD26AD.4165F110   follow us:  cid:image002.jpg@01CD26AD.4165F110   cid:image003.jpg@01CD26AD.4165F110

A leading marketplace for electronic fixed income, derivatives and ETF trading

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. Tradeweb reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. If you do not wish to receive marketing emails about our products / services, please let us know by contacting us, either by email at contactus@tradeweb.com or by writing to us at the registered office of Tradeweb in the UK, which is: Tradeweb Europe Limited (company number 3912826), 1 Fore Street Avenue London EC2Y 9DT. To see our privacy policy, visit our website @ www.tradeweb.com.