If you're on 3.0 (3.0.6 or 3.0.8 or newer I don't remember which), TWCS was designed for ttl-only time series use cases

Alternatively, if you have IO to spare, you may find LCS works as well (it'll cause quite a bit more compaction, but a much higher chance to compact away tombstones)

There are also tombstone focused sub properties to more aggressively compact sstables that have a lot of tombstones - check the docs for "unchecked tombstone compaction" and "tombstone threshold" - enabling those will enable more aggressive automatic single-sstable compactions

--
Jeff Jirsa