cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <jji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Massive deletes -> major compaction?
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2017 18:51:01 GMT
The major compaction is most efficient but can temporarily double (nearly) disk usage - if
you can afford that, go for it.

Alternatively you can do a user-defined compaction on each sstable in reverse generational
order (oldest first) and as long as the data is minimally overlapping it’ll purge tombstones
that way as well - takes longer but much less disk involved.

--
Jeff Jirsa

> On Sep 21, 2017, at 11:27 AM, Durity, Sean R <SEAN_R_DURITY@homedepot.com> wrote:
>
> Cassandra version 2.0.17 (yes, it’s old – waiting for new hardware/new OS to upgrade)
>
> In a long-running system with billions of rows, TTL was not set. So a one-time purge
is being planned to reduce disk usage. Records older than a certain date will be deleted.
The table uses size-tiered compaction. Deletes are probably 25-40% of the complete data set.
To actually recover the disk space, would you recommend a major compaction after the gc_grace_seconds
time? I expect compaction would then need to be scheduled regularly (ick)…

> We also plan to re-insert the remaining data with a calculated TTL, which could also
benefit from compaction.

> Sean Durity
>

> The information in this Internet Email is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Email by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed
conditions expressed in any applicable governing The  Home Depot terms of business or client