cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <jji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bootstraping a new node
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2017 14:22:19 GMT
Auto bootstrap doesn’t impact token assignment, it only impacts streaming - with it set to
false a new node will instantly join the cluster on startup without streaming any data.

--
Jeff Jirsa

> On Sep 29, 2017, at 4:53 AM, Jean Carlo <jean.jeancarl48@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thx @Jacob, I was reading that article, I dont understand how we can add a node in the
cluster using auto_bootstrap equal to false and not having a maldistribution of tokens.

> I know that cassandra use random token ranges if it doesn't have tokens associated.
> So it doesn't compute the new tokens ranges from the existing ones.
>
> it could lead to some tokens being owned by two nodes, am I right ?
>

> Saludos
>
> Jean Carlo
>
> "The best way to predict the future is to invent it" Alan Kay
>
>> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Jacob Shadix <jacobshadix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you building out a new DC?
>>
>> This is a good article about all things re. bootstrap - http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2017/05/23/auto-bootstrapping-part1.html
>>
>> Refer to the auto_bootstrap: false and see if that meets your use case. Pay CLOSE
attention to the caveats. Bootstrapping w/o streaming risks data inconsistencies for the cluster
as you are allowing reads to be performed on a node with token ranges assigned, but no data.

>> -- Jacob Shadix
>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 4:30 AM, Jean Carlo <jean.jeancarl48@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Hello cassandra community
>>>
>>> When bootstraping a new node, there is a way to say to cassandra from which DC
make the streaming ?

>>> Or there is a way to just join the machine to the cluster just calculating the
new tokens ( I am using vnodes) and not making any streaming to later make  a rebuild from
keyspace ?