cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Leleu Eric <eric.leleu....@gmail.com>
Subject ConsitencyLevel and Mutations : Behaviour if the update of the commitlog fails
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:04:20 GMT
Hi Cassandra users,

I have a question about the ConsistencyLevel and the MUTATION operation.
According to the write path documentation, the first action executed by a
replica node is to write the mutation into the commitlog, the mutation is
ACK only if this action is performed.

I suppose that this commitlog write may fail for one node (even if this
node is seen as Up and Nominal by the coordinator)

So my question is :  what happend if on a RF of 3 and a CL=ALL, a commitlog
write fails and the 2 others succeed? Does the coordinator "cancel" the
mutation on the "committed" nodes (and how)? Is it an heuristic case where
two nodes have the data whereas they shouldn't and we hope that
HintedHandoff will replay the mutation ?

Thanks you in advance for your answers in order to improve my Cassandra
understanding :)

Regards,
Eric