cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <>
Subject Re: quietness of full nodetool repair on large dataset
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2017 04:44:54 GMT
Screen and/or subrange repair (e.g. reaper)

Jeff Jirsa

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 8:23 PM, Mitch Gitman <> wrote:
> I'm on Apache Cassandra 3.10. I'm interested in moving over to Reaper for repairs, but
in the meantime, I want to get nodetool repair working a little more gracefully.
> What I'm noticing is that, when I'm running a repair for the first time with the --full
option after a large initial load of data, the client will say it's starting on a repair job
and then cease to produce any output for not just minutes but a few hours. This causes SSH
inactivity timeouts. I have tried running the repair with the --trace option, but then that
leads to the other extreme where there's just a torrent of output, scarcely any of which I'll
typically need.
> As a literal solution to my SSH inactivity timeouts, I could extend the timeouts, or
I could do some scripting jujitsu with StrictHostKeyChecking=no and a loop that spits some
arbitrary output until the command finishes. But even if the timeouts were no concern, the
sheer unresponsiveness is apt to make an operator nervous. And I'd like to think there's a
Goldilocks way to run a full nodetool repair on a large dataset where it's just a bit more
responsive without going all TMI. Thoughts? Anyone else notice this?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message