cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Marcel Villet <marc...@ctlab.com>
Subject fromJson(null) throws java.lang.NullPointerException on Cassandra 3.11
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:16:17 GMT
Hi All

Basically, fromJson throws a java.lang.NullPointerException when NULL is passed, instead of
just returning a NULL itself. Say I create a UDT and a table as follows:

create type type1
(
    id int,
    name text
);

create table table1
(
    id int,
    t FROZEN<type1>,

    primary key (id)
);

And then try and insert a row as such:

insert into table1 (id, t) VALUES (1, fromJson(null));

I get the error: java.lang.NullPointerException

This works:

insert into table1 (id, t) VALUES (1, null);

Programmatically, one does not always know when a UDT will be null, hence me expecting fromJson
to just return null.

Would you agree that this might be a bug?

Regards
Marcel

in error please notify the system manager:administrator@ctlab.com