cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping a new Node with Consistency=ONE
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2017 14:00:56 GMT
By the time bootstrap is complete it should be as consistent as the source node - you can change
start_native_transport to false to avoid serving clients directly (tcp/9042), but it'll still
serve reads via the storage service (tcp/7000), but the guarantee is that data should be consistent
by the time bootstrap finishes

Jeff Jirsa

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 1:53 AM, Daniel Hölbling-Inzko <>
> Hi,
> It's probably a strange question but I have a heavily read-optimized payload where data
integrity is not a big deal. So to keep latencies low I am reading with Consistency ONE from
my Multi-DC Cluster.
> Now the issue I saw is that I needed to add another Cassandra node (for redundancy reasons).

> Since I want this for renduncancy I booted the node and then changed the Replication
of my Keyspace to include the new node (all nodes have 100% of the data).
> The issue I was seeing is that clients that connected to the new Node afterwards were
seeing incomplete data - so the Key would already be present, but the columns would all be
null values.
> I expect this to die down once the node is fully replicated, but in the meantime a lot
of my connected clients were in trouble. (The application can handle seeing old data - incomplete
is another matter all together)
> The total data in question is a negligible 500kb (so nothing that should really take
any amount of time in my opinion but it took a few minutes for the data to replicate over
and I am still not sure everything is replicated correctly).
> Increasing the RF to something higher won't really help as the setup is dc1: 3; dc2:
2 (I added the second node in dc2). So a LOCAL_QUORUM in dc2 would still be 2 nodes which
means I just can't loose either of them. Adding a third node is not really cost effective
for the current workloads these nodes need to handle.
> Any advice on how to avoid this in the future? Is there a way to start up a node that
does not serve client requests but does replicate data?
> greetings Daniel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message