cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <>
Subject Re: Cassandra Data migration from 2.2.3 to 3.7
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 21:48:28 GMT
If you upgrade in place:

Stop each node one at a time
Swap binaries
Start each node
Run upgradesstables when all nodes are bounced

If you want to take data from 2.2 and put it into a 3.x cluster, you'll need to run upgradesstables
on it offline somehow (like clone that 2.2 cluster/schema and run it offline with 3.x upgradesstables),
then sstableloader it into place

Note that 3.7 is probably not the version you want - 3.11 is probably much more stable and
solves some serious bugs (or 3.0.14 if you don't need features from 3.7 ). The one exception
to this would be if you're using a 3.7 lts branch (like instaclustr had at one point - and
may still have).

Jeff Jirsa

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 2:24 PM, Harika Vangapelli -T (hvangape - AKRAYA INC at Cisco) <>
> Please help me understand data migration path from 2.2.3 to 3.7.
> 1.       Tried to take snapshot and load the snapshot using sstableloader; but it is
throwing Streaming Exception.
> Please advise.
> Thanks,
> Harika
> <image001.png>
> Harika Vangapelli
> Engineer - IT
> Tel:
> Cisco Systems, Inc.
> United States
> <image002.gif>Think before you print.
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact
the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.
> Please click here for Company Registration Information.

View raw message