cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Boris Iordanov <>
Subject Re: performance penalty of add column in CQL3
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2017 22:42:31 GMT
No, I hadn’t, thanks much for pointing it out!

The take away for me is then that such an update should be done offline. In that case, a schema
change would be safe and relatively efficient (wouldn’t take hours). If that assumption
is wrong, could anybody let me know?

Thanks much,

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 5:28 PM, Fay Hou [Storage Service] ­ <>
> are you aware this ticket?
> <>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Boris Iordanov < <>>
> Hi,
> Is "alter table t add column..." an expensive operation? For example, if it's something
to be triggered at an admin level of an application (i.e. not frequently), is it ok? It won’t
trigger rewriting all the data, right?
> My goal is not to have super wide tables, I know that’s not the practice with CQL3,
but I still want to be able to add a column occasionally to a potentially big data set without
a huge penalty. What are the gothas?