cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Jirsa"<jji...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Non-zero nodes are marked as down after restarting cassandra process
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 15:08:19 GMT

On 2017-05-16 07:07 (-0700), Andrew Jorgensen <andrew@andrewjorgensen.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info!
>
> When you say "overall stability problems due to some bugs", can you
> elaborate on if those were bugs in cassandra that were fixed due to an
> upgrade or bugs in your own code and how you used cassandra. If the latter
> would  it be possible to highlight what the most impactful fix was from the
> usage side.

For what it's worth, there have been HUNDREDS of bugs fixed in 3.0 since your 3.0.3 release,
many of which are fairly important - while it's unlikely to fix the behavior you describe,
upgrading to latest 3.0 is probably a good idea.

Anecdotally, the behavior you describe is similar to a condition I saw once at a previous
employer on a very different (much older) version of cassandra, and it was accompanied by
a few thousand bytes in a tcp send queue that lasted long after I'd have expected it to be
closed. Never really investigated, but if you see it happen again, capturing the output of
'netstat -n' and 'lsof' on the servers involved would help understand what's going on (open
a jira, upload the output).