cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Jirsa"<>
Subject Re: Bootstraping a Node With a Newer Version
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 15:26:59 GMT

On 2017-05-16 05:27 (-0700), Shalom Sagges <> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Hypothetically speaking, let's say I want to upgrade my Cassandra cluster,
> but I also want to perform a major upgrade to the kernel of all nodes.
> In order to upgrade the kernel, I need to reinstall the server, hence lose
> all data on the node.

That sounds unpleasant - really the case that you can't upgrade a kernel without wiping data?
Even AWS ephemeral instances can handle a reboot in place without ephemeral drive reset?

> My question is this, after reinstalling the server with the new kernel, can
> I first install the upgraded Cassandra version and then bootstrap it to the
> cluster?
> Since there's already no data on the node, I wish to skip the agonizing
> sstable upgrade process.
> Does anyone know if this is doable?

Not supported, and not generally a good idea.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message