cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shul...@zalando.de>
Subject Re: Convert single node C* to cluster (rebalancing problem)
Date Wed, 31 May 2017 09:04:19 GMT
On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Junaid Nasir <jnasir@an10.io> wrote:

> Cassandra ensure that adding or removing nodes are very easy and that load
> is balanced between nodes when a change is made. but it's not working in my
> case.
> I have a single node C* deployment (with 270 GB of data) and want to load
> balance the data on multiple nodes,

I guess it's fair to assume this is not a production "cluster"?

> I followed this guide
> <https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/operations/ops_add_node_to_cluster_t.html>
>
> `nodetool status` shows 2 nodes but load is not balanced between them
>
> Datacenter: dc1
> ===============
> Status=Up/Down
> |/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
> --  Address      Load       Tokens       Owns (effective)  Host ID    Rack
> UN  10.128.0.7   270.75 GiB  256          48.6%        1a3f6faa-4376-45a8-9c20-11480ae5664c
 rack1
> UN  10.128.0.14  414.36 KiB  256          51.4%        66a89fbf-08ba-4b5d-9f10-55d52a199b41
 rack1

> I can imagine you are referring to Load column here, which shows only 400
KB for the new node.  Did the newly added node actually bootstrap?  Are
there any error/warning messages in the Cassandra log?

> I also ran 'nodetool repair' on new node but result is same. any pointers
> would be appreciated :)

Hm, this is not expected.  Even if the node didn't bootstrap, repair should
have streamed the data it is responsible for.

conf file of new node

> cluster_name: 'cluster1'
>  - seeds: "10.128.0.7"
> num_tokens: 256
> endpoint_snitch: GossipingPropertyFileSnitch
>
> I see that you've tried to add the new node as a normal (non-seed) node,
which supposed to work and it should have bootstrapped itself.  Which
version of Cassandra is it exactly?

--
Oleksandr "Alex" Shulgin | Database Engineer | Zalando SE | Tel: +49 176
127-59-707