cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Kunal Gangakhedkar <kgangakhed...@gmail.com>
Subject TRUNCATE on a disk almost full - possible?
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:21:07 GMT
Hi all,

We have a CF that's grown too large - it's not getting actively used in the
app right now.
The on-disk size of the <ks>.<cf> directory is ~407GB and I have only ~40GB
free left on the disk.

I understand that if I trigger a TRUNCATE on this CF, cassandra will try to
take snapshot.
My question:
Is the ~40GB enough to safely truncate this table?

I will manually remove the <ks>.<cf> directory once the truncate is
completed.

Also, while browsing through earlier msgs regarding truncate, I noticed
that it's possible to get OperationTimedOut
<http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg48958.html>
exception. Does that stop the truncate operation?

Is there any other safe way to clean up the CF?

Thanks,
Kunal