cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Jirsa"<jji...@apache.org>
Subject Re: scylladb
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2017 20:06:53 GMT

On 2017-03-11 22:33 (-0700), Dor Laor <dor@scylladb.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Jeff Jirsa <jjirsa@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2017-03-10 09:57 (-0800), Rakesh Kumar wrote:
> > > Cassanda vs Scylla is a valid comparison because they both are
> > compatible. Scylla is a drop-in replacement for Cassandra.
> >
> > No, they aren't, and no, it isn't
> >

> Jeff is angry with us for some reason. I don't know why, it's natural that
> when  a new opponent there are objections and the proof lies on us.

I'm not angry. When I'm angry I send emails with paragraphs of expletives. It doesn't happen
very often.

This is an open source ASF project, it's not about fighting for market share against startups
who find it necessary to inflate their level of compatibility to sell support contracts, it's
about providing software that people can use (with a license that makes it easy to use). I
don't work for a company that makes money selling Cassandra based solutions and you're not
an opponent.

> Scylla IS a drop in replacement for C*. We support the same CQL (from
> version 1.7 it's cql 3.3.1, protocol v4), the same SStable format (based on
> 2.1.8).

Scylla doesn't even run on all of the supported operating systems, let alone have feature
parity or network level compatibility (which you'd probably need if you REALLY want to be
drop-in stop-one-cassandra-node-swap-binaries-start-it-up compatible, which is what your site
used to claim, but obviously isn't supported). You support a subset of one query language
and can read and write one sstable format. You do it with great supporting tech and a great
engineering team, but you're not compatible, and if I were your cofounder I'd ask you to focus
on the tech strengths and not your drop-in compatibility, so engineers who care about facts
don't grow to resent your public lies.

I've used a lot of databases in my life, but I don't know that I've ever had someone call
me angry because I pointed out that database A wasn't compatible with database B, but I guess
I'll chalk it up to 2017 and the year of fake news / alternative facts.

Hugs and kisses,
- Jeff