cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Branislav Janosik -T (bjanosik - AAP3 INC at Cisco)" <bjano...@cisco.com>
Subject Cluster scaling
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 23:18:15 GMT
Hi all,

I have a cluster of three nodes and would like to ask some questions about the performance.
I wrote a small benchmarking tool in java that mirrors (read, write) operations that we do
in the real project.
Problem is that it is not scaling like it should. The program runs two tests: one using batch
statement and one without using the batch.
The operation sequence is: optional select, insert, update, insert. I run the tool on my server
with 128 threads (# of threads has no influence on the performance),
creating usually 100K resources for testing purposes.

The average results (operations per second) with the use of batch statement are:

Replication Factor = 1       with reading        without reading
                1-node cluster     37K                         46K
                2-node cluster     37K                         47K
                3-node cluster     39K                         70K

Replication Factor = 2       with reading        without reading
                2-node cluster     21K                         40K
                3-node cluster     30K                         48K

The average results (operations per second) without the use of batch statement are:

Replication Factor = 1       with reading        without reading
                1-node cluster     31K                         20K
                2-node cluster     38K                         39K
                3-node cluster     45K                         87K

Replication Factor = 2       with reading        without reading
                2-node cluster     19K                         22K
                3-node cluster     26K                         36K

The Cassandra VMs specs are: 16 CPUs,  16GB and two 32GB of RAM, at least 30GB of disk space
for each node. Non SSD, each VM is on separate physical server.

The tool is attached if someone would like to try it themselves. It can be built with Maven
and then you can use jar in target directory.
Thank you for any help.