cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Simone Franzini <>
Subject UnknownColumnFamilyException after removing all Cassandra data
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 21:14:59 GMT
I am trying to restore functionality of a cluster that got into a really
bad state of schema disagreements. Right now, I am at a point where I have
a single node up and I am trying to replicate data from there.
I am then trying to bring up a second node, where I deleted all Cassandra
data. The node comes up, then I get a bunch of:

2017-02-06 15:09:16,220 WARN  [MessagingService-Incoming-/] - UnknownColumnFamilyException reading from
socket; closing
org.apache.cassandra.db.UnknownColumnFamilyException: Couldn't find

What does this mean exactly? Is it a symptom of a problem with the schema?
Or is it just a warning that Cassandra cannot find the data on disk (since
it was deleted)?
In other words: is this something to worry about in this situation or is it
expected behavior?

I am currently running a repair and waiting to see if the data comes back.

Simone Franzini, PhD

View raw message