cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Oskar Kjellin <oskar.kjel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incremental repair for the first time
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2017 08:23:26 GMT
There is no harm in running it tho. If it's not needed it will simply terminate. Better to
be safe

Sent from my iPhone

> On 9 Jan 2017, at 08:13, Amit Singh F <amit.f.singh@ericsson.com> wrote:
>
> Hi ,
>
> Generally Upgradesstables are only recommended when you plan to move with Major version
like  from 2.0 to 2.1  or from 2.1 to 2.2 etc. Since you are doing minor version upgrade no
need to run upgradesstables utility.

> Link by Datastax might be helpful to you :
>
> https://support.datastax.com/hc/en-us/articles/208040036-Nodetool-upgradesstables-FAQ

looks like there is no need for sstableupgrade when we upgrade from 3.0.4 to 3.0.10 (i.e.
Just installing 3.0.10 Cassandra would suffice and it will work with the sstables created
by 3.0.4 ?)

> Could you please confirm (if i'm reading the upgrade instructions correctly)?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathir
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM, kurt Greaves <kurt@instaclustr.com> wrote:
> No workarounds, your best/only option is to upgrade (plus you get the benefit of loads
of other bug fixes).

> On 16 December 2016 at 21:58, Kathiresan S <kathiresanselvaraj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you!
>
> Is any work around available for this version?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathir
>

> On Friday, December 16, 2016, Jake Luciani <jakers@gmail.com> wrote:
> This was fixed post 3.0.4 please upgrade to latest 3.0 release
>
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Kathiresan S <kathiresanselvaraj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a brand new Cassandra cluster (version 3.0.4) and we set up nodetool repair scheduled
for every day (without any options for repair). As per documentation, incremental repair is
the default in this case.
> Should we do a full repair for the very first time on each node once and then leave it
to do incremental repair afterwards?

> Problem we are facing:
>
> On a random node, the repair process throws validation failed error, pointing to some
other node

> For Eg. Node A, where the repair is run (without any option), throws below error
>
> Validation failed in /Node B
>
> In Node B when we check the logs, below exception is seen at the same exact time...
>
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot start multiple repair sessions over the same sstables
>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionManager.doValidationCompaction(CompactionManager.java:1087)
~[apache-cassandra-3.0.4.jar:3.0.4]
>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionManager.access$700(CompactionManager.java:80)
~[apache-cassandra-3.0.4.jar:3.0.4]
>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionManager$10.call(CompactionManager.java:700)
~[apache-cassandra-3.0.4.jar:3.0.4]
>         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) ~[na:1.8.0_73]
>         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
~[na:1.8.0_73]