cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Ben Dalling <>
Subject Re: Is it a must to run Cassandra repair in scheduled time
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:07:09 GMT
Hi Simon,

See for a good
explanation.  Basically repair is not a good word because it suggests it is
fixing something that is broken.  This is not the case.  It ensures the
consistency across your cluster.  Not running repairs is a VERY BAD THING.
Key things to check are how long do your repairs take and do they affect
the operation of your cluster.  Decide how often and when to run them based
on this.  The general rule of thumb is to run them within
the gc_grace_seconds.  Another good article is *Cassandra’s “Repair” Should
Be Called “Required Maintenance”* which is available at

Best wishes,

On 18 November 2016 at 09:41, <>

> Hi All,
> I'm new to Cassandra and from the mail chain seemed repair is an important
> thing to do. To avoid trouble in putting Cassandra in production
> environment, I have some questions.
> 1. What exactly does Cassandra repair do?
> 2. I saw someone do repair in scheduled time, daily or weekly. Is it a
> must to do this?
> 3. In which cases do I need to do repair?
> Cheers,
> -Simon Wu

View raw message