cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Roth <benjamin.r...@jaumo.com>
Subject Re: commit log on NFS volume
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2016 19:03:35 GMT
The Second exception states there is a File of an sstable Missing. Is it
possible you didnt only delete commit logs or nfs Mount is stale or Not
mounted?

Am 01.11.2016 19:52 schrieb "John Sanda" <john.sanda@gmail.com>:

> Using nfs for a distribited System like Cassandra is like putting a
>> Ferrari on a Truck and going for a Race with the Truck. It is simply
>> nonsense.
>

> As I mentioned in my original post, I am aware that using NFS is
> considered bad and even documented as an anti-pattern. Your analogy,
> interesting as it may be, is not helpful. It simply restating what has
> already been said. I don't even know that NFS is to blame for the
> CommitLogReplayException that I cited.
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Benjamin Roth <benjamin.roth@jaumo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Using nfs for a distribited System like Cassandra is like putting a
>> Ferrari on a Truck and going for a Race with the Truck. It is simply
>> nonsense.
>>
>> Am 01.11.2016 19:39 schrieb "Vladimir Yudovin" <vladyu@winguzone.com>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> it's not only performance issue. In case of network problem writer tread
>>> can be blocked, also in case of failure loss of data can occur.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,
>>>
>>> *Winguzone <https://winguzone.com?from=list> - Hosted Cloud
>>> CassandraLaunch your cluster in minutes.*
>>>

>>> ---- On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 14:10:10 -0400*John Sanda
>>> <john.sanda@gmail.com <john.sanda@gmail.com>>* wrote ----
>>>
>>> I know that using NFS is discouraged, particularly for the commit log.
>>> Can anyone shed some light into what kinds of problems I might encounter
>>> aside from performance? The reason for my inquiry is because I have some
>>> deployments with Cassandra 2.2.1 that use NFS and are experiencing some
>>> problems like reoccurring corrupted commit log segments on start up:
>>>
>>>     ERROR 19:38:42 Exiting due to error while processing commit log during initialization.
>>>     org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogReplayer$CommitLogReplayException:
Mutation checksum failure at 33296351 in CommitLog-5-1474325237114.log
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogReplayer.handleReplayError(CommitLogReplayer.java:622)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogReplayer.replaySyncSection(CommitLogReplayer.java:492)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogReplayer.recover(CommitLogReplayer.java:388)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogReplayer.recover(CommitLogReplayer.java:147)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recover(CommitLog.java:189)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recover(CommitLog.java:169)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:266)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:488)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]
>>>             at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:595)
[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar]

>>> In one deployment after removing all of corrupted commit log segments I
>>> got a different error:
>>>
>>> Exception (java.lang.RuntimeException) encountered during startup: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException:
/cassandra_data/data/hawkular_metrics/metrics_idx-1ea881506ee311e6890b131c1bc89929/la-86-big-Statistics.db