cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Vladimir Yudovin <vla...@winguzone.com>
Subject Re: Java GC pauses, reality check
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2016 06:17:26 GMT
Hi Ahmed,

obviously, 20-30 sec. pause is unacceptable.

I suppose check the following:

- disable swapping completely

- check Java version, v8. is desirable (depending on Cassandra version)

- use multiprocessor machine (it allows concurrent GC)

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

Winguzone - Cloud Cassandra Hosting

---- On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 16:25:15 -0500 S Ahmed &lt;sahmed1020@gmail.com&gt; wrote
----

Hello!

>From what I understand java GC pauses are pretty much a fact of life, but you can tune
the jvm to reduce the likelihood of the frequency and length of GC pauses.

When using Cassandra, how frequent or long have these pauses known to be?  Even with tuning,
is it safe to assume they cannot be eliminated?

Would a 20-30 second pause be something out of the ordinary?

Thanks.