cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Graham Sanderson <gra...@vast.com>
Subject Re: Do partition keys create skinny or wide rows?
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2016 04:17:15 GMT
Nomenclature is tricky, but PRIMARY KEY((organization_id, employee_id)) will make organization_id,
employee_id the partition key which equates roughly to your latter sentence (I’m not sure
about the 4 billion limit - that may be the new actual limit, but probably not a good idea).

> On Oct 8, 2016, at 8:35 PM, Ali Akhtar <ali.rac200@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> the last '4 billion rows' should say '4 billion columns / cells'
>
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Ali Akhtar <ali.rac200@gmail.com <mailto:ali.rac200@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Say I have the following primary key:
> PRIMARY KEY((organization_id, employee_id))
>
> Will this create 1 row whose primary key is the organization id, but it has a 4 billion
column / cell limit?

> Or will this create 1 row for each employee in the same organization, so if i have 5
employees, they will each have their own 5 rows, and each of those 5 rows will have their
own 4 billion rows?