cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jonathan Haddad <...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping data from Cassandra 2.2.5 datacenter to 3.0.8 datacenter fails because of streaming errors
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2016 23:46:17 GMT
You can't stream between major versions. Don't tear down your first data
center, upgrade it instead.
On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM Abhishek Verma <verma@uber.com> wrote:

> Hi Cassandra users,
>
> We are trying to upgrade our Cassandra version from 2.2.5 to 3.0.8
> (running on Mesos, but that's besides the point). We have two datacenters,
> so in order to preserve our data, we are trying to upgrade one datacenter
> at a time.
>
> Initially both DCs (dc1 and dc2) are running 2.2.5. The idea is to tear
> down dc1 completely (delete all the data in it), bring it up with 3.0.8,
> let data replicate from dc2 to dc1, and then tear down dc2, bring it up
> with 3.0.8 and replicate data from dc1.
>
> I am able to reproduce the problem on bare metal clusters running on 3
> nodes. I am using Oracle's server-jre-8u74-linux-x64 JRE.
>
> *Node A*: Downloaded 2.2.5-bin.tar.gz, changed the seeds to include its
> own IP address, changed listen_address and rpc_address to its own IP and
> changed endpoint_snitch to GossipingPropertyFileSnitch. I
> changed conf/cassandra-rackdc.properties to
> dc=dc2
> rack=rack2
> This node started up fine and is UN in nodetool status in dc2.
>
> I used CQL shell to create a table and insert 3 rows:
> verma@xxxxx:~/apache-cassandra-2.2.5$ bin/cqlsh $HOSTNAME
> Connected to Test Cluster at xxxxx:9042.
> [cqlsh 5.0.1 | Cassandra 2.2.5 | CQL spec 3.3.1 | Native protocol v4]
> Use HELP for help.
> cqlsh> desc tmp
>
> CREATE KEYSPACE tmp WITH replication = {'class':
> 'NetworkTopologyStrategy', 'dc1': '1', 'dc2': '1'}  AND durable_writes =
> true;
>
> CREATE TABLE tmp.map (
>     key text PRIMARY KEY,
>     value text
> )...;
> cqlsh> select * from tmp.map;
>
>  key | value
> -----+-------
>   k1 |    v1
>   k3 |    v3
>   k2 |    v2
>
>
> *Node B:* Downloaded 3.0.8-bin.tar.gz, changed the seeds to include
> itself and node A, changed listen_address and rpc_address to its own IP,
> changed endpoint_snitch to GossipingPropertyFileSnitch. I did not change
> conf/cassandra-rackdc.properties and its contents are
> dc=dc1
> rack=rack1
>
> In the logs, I see:
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:42:42,850 MessagingService.java:557 - Starting
> Messaging Service on /10.164.32.29:7000 (eth0)
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:42:42,864 StorageService.java:784 - This node
> will not auto bootstrap because it is configured to be a seed node.
>
> So I start a third node:
> *Node C:* Downloaded 3.0.8-bin.tar.gz, changed the seeds to include node
> A and node B, changed listen_address and rpc_address to its own IP, changed
> endpoint_snitch to GossipingPropertyFileSnitch. I did not change
> conf/cassandra-rackdc.properties.
> Now, nodetool status shows:
>
> verma@xxxxxxx:~/apache-cassandra-3.0.8$ bin/nodetool status
> Datacenter: dc1
> ===============
> Status=Up/Down
> |/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
> --  Address       Load       Tokens       Owns (effective)  Host ID
>                         Rack
> UJ  <Node C IP>   87.81 KB   256          ?
> 9064832d-ed5c-4c42-ad5a-f754b52b670c  rack1
> UN  <Node B IP>  107.72 KB  256          100.0%
>  28b1043f-115b-46a5-b6b6-8609829cde76  rack1
> Datacenter: dc2
> ===============
> Status=Up/Down
> |/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
> --  Address       Load       Tokens       Owns (effective)  Host ID
>                         Rack
> UN  <Node A IP>    73.2 KB    256          100.0%
>  09cc542c-2299-45a5-a4d1-159c239ded37  rack2
>
> Nodetool describe cluster shows:
> verma@xxxxxxx:~/apache-cassandra-3.0.8$ bin/nodetool describecluster
> Cluster Information:
> Name: Test Cluster
> Snitch: org.apache.cassandra.locator.DynamicEndpointSnitch
> Partitioner: org.apache.cassandra.dht.Murmur3Partitioner
> Schema versions:
> c2a2bb4f-7d31-3fb8-a216-00b41a643650: [<Node B IP>, <Node C IP>]
>
> 9770e3c5-3135-32e2-b761-65a0f6d8824e: [<Node A IP>]
>
> Note that there are two schema versions and they don't match.
>
> I see the following in the system.log:
>
> INFO  [InternalResponseStage:1] 2016-10-10 22:48:36,055
> ColumnFamilyStore.java:390 - Initializing system_auth.roles
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:48:36,316 StorageService.java:1149 - JOINING:
> waiting for schema information to complete
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:48:36,316 StorageService.java:1149 - JOINING:
> schema complete, ready to bootstrap
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:48:36,316 StorageService.java:1149 - JOINING:
> waiting for pending range calculation
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:48:36,317 StorageService.java:1149 - JOINING:
> calculation complete, ready to bootstrap
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:48:36,319 StorageService.java:1149 - JOINING:
> getting bootstrap token
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:48:36,357 StorageService.java:1149 - JOINING:
> sleeping 30000 ms for pending range setup
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,358 StorageService.java:1149 - JOINING:
> Starting to bootstrap...
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,494 StreamResultFuture.java:87 - [Stream
> #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e] Executing streaming plan for
> Bootstrap
> INFO  [StreamConnectionEstablisher:1] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,495
> StreamSession.java:242 - [Stream #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e]
> Starting streaming to /<Node A IP>
> INFO  [StreamConnectionEstablisher:2] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,495
> StreamSession.java:242 - [Stream #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e]
> Starting streaming to /<Node B IP>
> INFO  [StreamConnectionEstablisher:2] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,500
> StreamCoordinator.java:213 - [Stream #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e,
> ID#0] Beginning stream session with /<Node B IP>
> INFO  [STREAM-IN-/<Node B IP>] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,590
> StreamResultFuture.java:183 - [Stream
> #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e] Session with /<Node B IP> is complete
> INFO  [StreamConnectionEstablisher:1] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,635
> StreamCoordinator.java:213 - [Stream #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e,
> ID#0] Beginning stream session with /<Node A IP>
> ERROR [STREAM-IN-/<Node A IP>] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,639
> StreamSession.java:528 - [Stream #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e]
> Streaming error occurred
> java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
> at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.read0(Native Method) ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(SocketDispatcher.java:39)
> ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:223) ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:197) ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(SocketChannelImpl.java:380)
> ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> at sun.nio.ch.SocketAdaptor$SocketInputStream.read(SocketAdaptor.java:206)
> ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> at sun.nio.ch.ChannelInputStream.read(ChannelInputStream.java:103)
> ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> at
> java.nio.channels.Channels$ReadableByteChannelImpl.read(Channels.java:385)
> ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.messages.StreamMessage.deserialize(StreamMessage.java:54)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.ConnectionHandler$IncomingMessageHandler.run(ConnectionHandler.java:287)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_102]
> INFO  [STREAM-IN-/<Node A IP>] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,639
> StreamResultFuture.java:183 - [Stream
> #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e] Session with /<Node A IP> is complete
> WARN  [STREAM-IN-/<Node A IP>] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,640
> StreamResultFuture.java:210 - [Stream
> #bfb5e470-8f3b-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e] Stream failed
> WARN  [STREAM-IN-/<Node A IP>] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,640
> StorageService.java:1208 - Error during bootstrap.
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamException: Stream failed
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.management.StreamEventJMXNotifier.onFailure(StreamEventJMXNotifier.java:85)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at com.google.common.util.concurrent.Futures$6.run(Futures.java:1310)
> [guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors$DirectExecutor.execute(MoreExecutors.java:457)
> [guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.ExecutionList.executeListener(ExecutionList.java:156)
> [guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.ExecutionList.execute(ExecutionList.java:145)
> [guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractFuture.setException(AbstractFuture.java:202)
> [guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamResultFuture.maybeComplete(StreamResultFuture.java:211)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamResultFuture.handleSessionComplete(StreamResultFuture.java:187)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamSession.closeSession(StreamSession.java:429)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamSession.onError(StreamSession.java:534)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.ConnectionHandler$IncomingMessageHandler.run(ConnectionHandler.java:305)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_102]
> ERROR [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,641 StorageService.java:1218 - Error
> while waiting on bootstrap to complete. Bootstrap will have to be restarted.
> java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamException: Stream failed
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractFuture$Sync.getValue(AbstractFuture.java:299)
> ~[guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractFuture$Sync.get(AbstractFuture.java:286)
> ~[guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractFuture.get(AbstractFuture.java:116)
> ~[guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.bootstrap(StorageService.java:1213)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.joinTokenRing(StorageService.java:889)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:663)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:528)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:339)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:557)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:685)
> [apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> Caused by: org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamException: Stream failed
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.management.StreamEventJMXNotifier.onFailure(StreamEventJMXNotifier.java:85)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at com.google.common.util.concurrent.Futures$6.run(Futures.java:1310)
> ~[guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors$DirectExecutor.execute(MoreExecutors.java:457)
> ~[guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.ExecutionList.executeListener(ExecutionList.java:156)
> ~[guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.ExecutionList.execute(ExecutionList.java:145)
> ~[guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractFuture.setException(AbstractFuture.java:202)
> ~[guava-18.0.jar:na]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamResultFuture.maybeComplete(StreamResultFuture.java:211)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamResultFuture.handleSessionComplete(StreamResultFuture.java:187)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamSession.closeSession(StreamSession.java:429)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamSession.onError(StreamSession.java:534)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.streaming.ConnectionHandler$IncomingMessageHandler.run(ConnectionHandler.java:305)
> ~[apache-cassandra-3.0.8.jar:3.0.8]
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) ~[na:1.8.0_102]
> WARN  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,646 StorageService.java:944 - Some data
> streaming failed. Use nodetool to check bootstrap state and resume. For
> more, see `nodetool help bootstrap`. IN_PROGRESS
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:06,647 CassandraDaemon.java:644 - Waiting
> for gossip to settle before accepting client requests...
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:14,648 CassandraDaemon.java:675 - No gossip
> backlog; proceeding
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:14,694 NativeTransportService.java:70 -
> Netty using native Epoll event loop
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:14,726 Server.java:159 - Using Netty
> Version: [netty-buffer=netty-buffer-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-codec=netty-codec-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-codec-http=netty-codec-http-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-codec-socks=netty-codec-socks-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-common=netty-common-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-handler=netty-handler-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-transport=netty-transport-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-transport-rxtx=netty-transport-rxtx-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-transport-sctp=netty-transport-sctp-4.0.23.Final.208198c,
> netty-transport-udt=netty-transport-udt-4.0.23.Final.208198c]
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:14,726 Server.java:160 - Starting listening
> for CQL clients on /<Node C IP>:9042 (unencrypted)...
> INFO  [main] 2016-10-10 22:49:14,748 CassandraDaemon.java:477 - Not
> starting RPC server as requested. Use JMX
> (StorageService->startRPCServer()) or nodetool (enablethrift) to start it
>
> I tried resuming bootstrap but it fails with the same streaming errors:
>
> verma@<Node C>:~/apache-cassandra-3.0.8$ bin/nodetool bootstrap resume
> Resuming bootstrap
> [2016-10-10 23:15:11,816] session with /<Node B IP> complete (progress: 0%)
> [2016-10-10 23:15:11,939] session with /<Node A IP> complete (progress: 0%)
> [2016-10-10 23:15:11,940] Stream failed
>
> and I see the same error in the system.log:
>
> StreamSession.java:528 - [Stream #64b73a20-8f3f-11e6-b69a-1b451159408e]
> Streaming error occurred
> java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
> ...
>
> Does Cassandra support upgrading from 2.2.5 to 3.0.8 in this way? Am I
> missing something?
>
> Thanks for your time.
> -Abhishek.
>

Mime
View raw message