cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Joaquin Casares <>
Subject Re: How long/how many days 'nodetool gossipinfo' will have decommissioned nodes info
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2016 16:19:17 GMT
Hello Techpyassa,

Sometimes old gossip information tends to echo around for quite a bit
longer than intended. I'm unsure how long the LEFT messages are supposed to
be echoed for, but if you want to force the removal of a removed node from
gossip, you can use the Assassinate Endpoint JMX command. On larger
clusters, running this command synchronously across all machines may be
required. Instructions on Assassinate Endpoint can be found here:

If you're planning on recommissioning the same node, upon bootstrapping the
gossiped message should change to a JOINING message overwriting the LEFT

I've personally never checked `nodetool gossipinfo` before recommissioning
a node and typically only ensure the node does not appear in `nodetool

Hope that helps,

Joaquin Casares
Austin, TX

Apache Cassandra Consulting

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Laxmikanth S <> wrote:

> Hi,
> Recently we have decommissioned nodes from Cassandra cluster , but even
> after nearly 48 hours 'nodetool gossipinfo' still shows the removed nodes(
> as LEFT).
> I just wanted to recommission the same node again. So just wanted to know
> , will it create a problem if I recommission the same node(same IP)  again
> while its state is maintained as LEFT in 'nodetool gossipnfo'.
> Thanks,
> Techpyaasa

View raw message