cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Khaja, Raziuddin (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]" <raziuddin.kh...@nih.gov>
Subject Re: Upgrading from Cassandra 2.1.12 to 3.0.9
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:00:25 GMT
Thank you Joaquim for the advice.

I seem to have sent this email with the wrong subject.  It should have been Upgrading from
Cassandra 2.1.12 to 3.7, but too late now.

The plan is to upgrade from 2.1.12 to 3.7 and to maintain a heterogeneous cluster only for
a short time, while we observe how 3.7 reacts to our client applications with traffic, then
proceed with upgrading all DCs to 3.7.

In our current installation we are using memtable_allocation_type: offheap_objects. Support
for offheap_objects was removed in the 3.0.x branch and only added back in 3.4+, so an upgrade
to 3.0.9 will not be possible for me unless I change this parameter.
Still looking to hear from others about upgrade experiences, problems etc.
-Razi

From: Joaquin Casares <joaquin@thelastpickle.com>
Date: Friday, September 23, 2016 at 11:41 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Cc: "Khaja, Raziuddin (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]" <raziuddin.khaja@nih.gov>
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Cassandra 2.1.12 to 3.0.9

Hello Razi,

Since you were using a highly stable version of 2.1.x, you may want to stick with using 3.0.9.
3.7 has introduced many great features, but has not been as heavily tested in production as
3.0.9.

Running heterogenous clusters, even when using the same major version (e.g. 3.0.8 and 3.0.9),
is never recommended. Running a cluster that spans major releases, for longer than the timespan
of a routine upgrade, is strongly not advised.

Hope that helps!

Joaquin Casares
Consultant
Austin, TX