cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Svihla>
Subject Re: A question to updatesstables
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:26:08 GMT
The actual error message could be very useful to diagnose the reason. There are warnings about
incompatible formats which are safe to ignore (usually in the cache) and I have one time seen
an issue with commit log archiving preventing a startup during upgrade. Usually there is something
else broken and the version mismatch is a false signal.

Ryan Svihla

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 10:18 PM, Lu, Boying <> wrote:
> Thanks a lot.
> I’m a little bit of confusing.  If the ‘nodetool updatesstable’ doesn’t work
without Cassandra server running,
> and Cassandra server failed to start due to the incompatible SSTable format,  how to
resolve this dilemma?
about this command before trying it:
> 1.       Does it work without Cassandra server running?
> No, it won't.
> 2.       Will it cause data lost with this command?
> It shouldn't if you followed the upgrade instructions properly
> 3.       What’s the best practice to void this error occurs again (e.g. upgrading Cassandra
next time)?
> Upgrading SSTables is required or not depending on the upgrade you're running, basically
if the SSTables layout changes you'll need to run it and not otherwise so there's nothing
you can do to avoid it
> Thanks
> Boying

View raw message