cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Lu, Boying" <Boying...@emc.com>
Subject RE: A question to updatesstables
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2016 03:18:05 GMT
Thanks a lot.

I’m a little bit of confusing.  If the ‘nodetool updatesstable’ doesn’t work without
Cassandra server running,
and Cassandra server failed to start due to the incompatible SSTable format,  how to resolve
this dilemma?

From: Carlos Alonso [mailto:info@mrcalonso.com]
Sent: 2016年8月18日 18:44
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: A question to updatesstables

Replies inline

Carlos Alonso | Software Engineer | @calonso<https://twitter.com/calonso>

On 18 August 2016 at 11:56, Lu, Boying <Boying.Lu@emc.com<mailto:Boying.Lu@emc.com>>
wrote:
Hi, All,

We use Cassandra in our product. I our early release we use Cassandra 1.2.10 whose SSTable
is ‘ic’ format.
We upgrade Cassandra to 2.0.10 in our product release. But the Cassandra server failed to
start due to the
incompatible SSTable format and the log message told us to use ‘nodetool updatesstables’
to upgrade SSTable files.

To make sure that no negative impact on our data, I want to confirm following things about
this command before trying it:

1.       Does it work without Cassandra server running?
No, it won't.

2.       Will it cause data lost with this command?
It shouldn't if you followed the upgrade instructions properly

3.       What’s the best practice to void this error occurs again (e.g. upgrading Cassandra
next time)?
Upgrading SSTables is required or not depending on the upgrade you're running, basically if
the SSTables layout changes you'll need to run it and not otherwise so there's nothing you
can do to avoid it

Thanks

Boying