cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Svihla ...@foundev.pro>
Subject Re: Replicating Cassandra data to HDFS
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2016 17:49:12 GMT
You can follow the monster of a ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8844
and see if it looks like the tradeoffs there are headed in the right direction for you.

even CDC I think would have the logically same issue of not deduping for you as triggers and
dual write due to replication factor and consistently level issues. Otherwise you'd be stuck
doing an all replica comparison when a late event came in and when a node was down what would
you do then? what if one replica got it as well and then came on line much later? Even if
you were using a single source of truth style database, you'll find failover has a way of
losing late events anyway (due to async replication) not to mention once you go multiple dc
it's all a matter of what DC you're in.

Anyway for the cold storage I think a trailing amount that is just greater than your old events
would do it. IE if you choose to only accept 30 days out then cold storage for 32 days. At
some point there is no free lunch as you point out when replicating between two data sources.
ie CDC, triggers really anything that marks a "new event" will have the same problem and you'll
have to choose an acceptable level of lateness or check for lateness indefinitely.

Alternatively you can just accept duplication and handle it cold storage read side (like event
sourcing pattern, this would be ideal if the lateness is uncommon) or clean it up over time
in cold storage as it's detected (similar to an event sourcing pattern, but snapshotting data
down to a single record when you encounter it on a read).

Best of luck, this is a corner case that requires hard tradeoffs in all technology I've encountered.

Regards,
Ryan Svihla

On Aug 9, 2016, 12:21 PM -0500, Ben Vogan <ben@shopkick.com>, wrote:
> Thanks Ryan. I was hoping there was a change data capture framework. We have late arriving
events, some of which can be very late. We would have to batch collect data for a large time
period every so often to go back and collect those or accept that we are going to lose a small
percentage of events. Neither of which is ideal.

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Ryan Svihla <rs@foundev.pro (mailto:rs@foundev.pro)>
wrote:
> > The typical pattern I've seen in the field is kafka + consumers for each destination
(variant of dual write I know), this of course would not work for your goal of relying on
C* for dedup. Triggers would also suffer the same problem unfortunately so you're really left
with a batch job (most likely Spark) to move data from C* into HDFS on a given interval. If
this is really a cold storage use case that can work quite well especially assuming you've
modeled your data as a time series or with some sort of time based bucketing so you can quickly
get full partitions data out of C* in a deterministic fashion and not have to scan your entire
data set.

> > I've also for similar needs have seen Spark streaming + querying cassandra for duplication
checks to dedup then output to another source (form of dual write but with dedup), this was
really silly and slow. I only bring it up to save you the trouble in case you end up in the
same path chasing for something more 'real time'.

> > Regards,
> > Ryan Svihla
> >

> > On Aug 9, 2016, 11:09 AM -0500, Ben Vogan <ben@shopkick.com (mailto:ben@shopkick.com)>,
wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We are investigating using Cassandra in our data platform. We would like data
to go into Cassandra first and to eventually be replicated into our data lake in HDFS for
long term cold storage. Does anyone know of a good way of doing this? We would rather not
have parallel writes to HDFS and Cassandra because we were hoping that we could use Cassandra
primary keys to de-duplicate events.