cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Romain Hardouin <romainh...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: (C)* stable version after 3.5
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:04:12 GMT
DSE 4.8 uses C* 2.1 and DSE 5.0 uses C* 3.0. So I would say that 2.1->3.0 is more tested
by DataStax than 2.2->3.0.

    Le Jeudi 14 juillet 2016 11h37, Stefano Ortolani <ostefano@gmail.com> a écrit :

 FWIW, I've recently upgraded from 2.1 to 3.0 without issues of any sort, but admittedly I
haven't been using anything too fancy.
Cheers,Stefano
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Anuj
>From https://docs.datastax.com/en/latest-upgrade/upgrade/cassandra/upgrdBestPractCassandra.html:

   - Employ a continual upgrade strategy for each year. Upgrades are impacted by the version
you are upgrading from and the version you are upgrading to. The greater the gap between the
current version and the target version, the more complex the upgrade.

And I could not find it but historically I am quite sure it was explicitly recommended not
to skip a major update (for a rolling upgrade), even if I could not find it. Anyway it is
clear that the bigger the gap is, the more careful we need to be.
On the other hand, I see 2.2 as a 2.1 + some feature but no real breaking changes (as 3.0
was already on the pipe) and doing a 2.2 was decided because 3.0 was taking a long time to
be released and some feature were ready for a while.
I might be wrong on some stuff above, but one can only speak with his knowledge and from his
point of view. So I ended up saying:

Also I am not sure if the 2.2 major version is something you can skip while upgrading through
a rolling restart. I believe you can, but it is not what is recommended.

Note that "I am not sure", "I believe you can"... So it was more a thought, something to explore
for Varun :-).

And I actually encouraged him to move forward. Now that Tyler Hobbs confirmed it works, you
can put a lot more trust on the fact that this upgrade will work :-). I would still encourage
people to test it (for client compatibility, corner cases due to models, ...).
I hope I am more clear now,
C*heers,-----------------------Alain Rodriguez - alain@thelastpickle.comFrance
The Last Pickle - Apache Cassandra Consultinghttp://www.thelastpickle.com