cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Steve Anderson <s.anderson...@gmail.com>
Subject Installing Cassandra from Tarball
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2016 16:16:08 GMT
I am trying out Cassandra and have installed it on a single Amazon Linux AMI instance (.

I downloaded the Cassandra 3.6 tarball. However when I run Cassandra I notice there are the
following warnings:

WARN  15:41:58 Small commitlog volume detected at /var/lib/cassandra/commitlog; setting commitlog_total_space_in_mb
to 1983.  You can override this in cassandra.yaml
WARN  15:41:58 Only 5.812GiB free across all data volumes. Consider adding more capacity to
your cluster or removing obsolete snapshots
…
WARN  15:41:58 Unable to lock JVM memory (ENOMEM). This can result in part of the JVM being
swapped out, especially with mmapped I/O enabled. Increase RLIMIT_MEMLOCK or run Cassandra
as root.
WARN  15:41:58 jemalloc shared library could not be preloaded to speed up memory allocations
WARN  15:41:58 JMX is not enabled to receive remote connections. Please see cassandra-env.sh
for more info.
INFO  15:41:58 Initializing SIGAR library
WARN  15:41:58 Cassandra server running in degraded mode. Is swap disabled? : true,  Address
space adequate? : true,  nofile limit adequate? : false, nproc limit adequate? : false

I assume the first two warnings are no big deal, but am unsure about the others. How do I
confirm Cassandra is up and running OK?

Also, I notice when I shutdown Cassandra with ctrl-c, there is no message indicating Cassandra
is shutting down.

Am wondering if I should just install Cassandra using a RPM distribution from DataStax.

Steve
—
"Surely, those who believe, those who are Jewish, the Christians, and the converts; anyone
who (1) believes in God, (2) believes in the Last Day, and (3) leads a righteous life, will
receive their recompense from their Lord; they have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve."
(Quran 2:62, 5:69) …learn more at www.masjidtucson.org