cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Paul Dunkler <p...@uplex.de>
Subject Re: [Marketing Mail] Cassandra 2.1: Snapshot data changing while transferring
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 11:27:09 GMT
> I guess this might come from the incremental repairs...
> The repair time is stored in the sstable (RepairedAt timestamp metadata).

By the way: We are not using incremental repairs at all. So can't be the case here.

It really seems like there is somewhat that can still change data in snapshot directories.
I feel like it's something to do with flushing / compaction. But no clue, what... :(

> Cheers,
> Reynald
>
> On 31/05/2016 11:03, Paul Dunkler wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> i am sometimes running in very strange errors while backing up snapshots from a cassandra
cluster.

>> Cassandra version:
>> 2.1.11
>>
>> What i basically do:
>> 1. nodetool snapshot
>> 2. tar all snapshot folders into one file
>> 3. transfer them to another server
>>
>> What happens is that tar just sometimes give the error message "file changed as we
read it" while its adding a .db-file from the folder of the previously created snapshot.
>> If i understand everything correct, this SHOULD never happen. Snapshots should be
totally immutable, right?

>> Am i maybe hitting a bug or is there some rare case with running repair operations
or what-so-ever which can change snapshotted data?
>> I already searched through cassandra jira but couldn't find a bug which looks related
to this behaviour.

>> Would love to get some help on this.
>>
>> —
>> Paul Dunkler