cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Julien Anguenot <jul...@anguenot.org>
Subject Re: how to force cassandra-stress to actually generate enough data
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:46:22 GMT
I usually do a write only bench run first. Doing a 1B write iterations will produce 200GB+
data on disk.  You can then do mixed tests.

For instance, a write bench that would produce such volume on a 3 nodes cluster:

./tools/bin/cassandra-stress write cl=LOCAL_QUORUM n=1000000000  -rate threads=10000 -node
1.2.3.1,1.2.3.2.1.2.3.4 -schema 'replication(strategy=NetworkTopologyStrategy,dallas=3)'
-log file=raid5_ssd_1b_10kt_cl_quorum.log -graph file=raid5_ssd_1B_10kt_cl_quorum.html title=raid5_ssd_1B_10kt_cl_quorum
revision=benchmark-0

After that you can then do various mixed bench runs with data, SSTables and compactions kicking
in.

Not sure this is the best, advocated, way to achieve the goal when having empty disk and no
dataset to start with though.

   J.

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 7:24 AM, Peter Kovgan <peter.kovgan@ebsbrokertec.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The cassandra-stress is not helping really to populate the disk sufficiently.
>
> I tried several table structures, providing
>
> cluster: UNIFORM(1..10000000000)  on clustering parts of the PK.
>
> Partition part of PK makes about 660 000 partitions.
>
> The hope was create enough cells in a row, make the row really WIDE.
>
> No matter what I tried, does no matter how long it runs, I see maximum 2-3 SSTables per
node and maximum 300Mb of data per node.

> (I have 6 nodes and very active 400 threads stress)
>
> It looks, like It is impossible to make the row really wide and disk really full.
>
> Is it intentional?
>
> I mean, if there was an intention to avoid really wide rows, why there is no hint on
this in docs?

> Do you have similar experience and do you know how resolve that?
>
> Thanks.
>

> ************************************************************************************************************************
> This communication and all or some of the information contained therein may be confidential
and is subject to our Terms and Conditions. If you have received this communication in error,
please destroy all electronic and paper copies and notify the sender immediately. Unless specifically
indicated, this communication is not a confirmation, an offer to sell or solicitation of any
offer to buy any financial product, or an official statement of ICAP or its affiliates. Non-Transactable
Pricing Terms and Conditions apply to any non-transactable pricing provided. All terms and
conditions referenced herein available at www.icapterms.com <http://www.icapterms.com/>.
Please notify us by reply message if this link does not work.

--
Julien Anguenot (@anguenot)