cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Anubhav Kale <>
Subject SS Table File Names not containing GUIDs
Date Mon, 02 May 2016 16:55:37 GMT

I am wondering if there is any reason as to why the SS Table format doesn't have a GUID. As
far as I can tell, the incrementing number isn't really used for any special purpose in code,
and having a unique name for the file seems to be a better thing, in general.

Specifically, this causes some inconvenience when restoring snapshots. Ideally, I would like
to restore just the system* keyspaces and boot the node. Then, once the node is taking live
traffic copy the SS Tables over and do a DSE restart at the end to load old data.

The problem is it is possible to overwrite new data with old files if the file names match.
I can't change the file names of snapshot-ed file to a huge number, because as soon as that
file is copied over, C* will use that number in its get-next-number-gen logic potentially
causing the same problem for the next snapshot-ed file.

How do people usually tackle this ? Is there some easy solution that I am not seeing ?

Thanks !

View raw message