cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jens Rantil <>
Subject Re: tuning repairs and compaction options
Date Fri, 06 May 2016 10:49:46 GMT
Hi Reik,

You could always throttle your repair by running smaller chunks of the
repair. See

Regarding the compaction, you can always change the compactionthroughput
using `nodetool setcompactionthroughput`.

Hope this helps,

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 9:47 AM Reik Schatz <> wrote:

> Hi, we are running a 9 node cluster under load. The nodes are running in
> EC2 on i2.2xlarge instances. Cassandra version is 2.2.4. One node was down
> yesterday for more than 3 hours. So we manually started an incremental
> repair this morning via nodetool (anti-entropy repair?)
> What we can see is that user CPU on that node goes up to over 95% and also
> goes up on all other nodes. Also the number of SSTables is exploding, I
> guess due to anticompaction.
> What are my tuning options to have a more gentle repair behaviour? Which
> settings should I look at if I want CPU to stay below 50% for instance. My
> worry is always to impact the read/write performance during times when we
> do anti-entropy repairs.
> Cheers,
> Reik

Jens Rantil
Backend Developer @ Tink

Tink AB, Wallingatan 5, 111 60 Stockholm, Sweden
For urgent matters you can reach me at +46-708-84 18 32.

View raw message