cassandra-user mailing list archives

From <>
Subject RE: Per node limit for Disk Space
Date Tue, 31 May 2016 19:42:17 GMT
Eric is right on.

Let me share my experience. I have found that dense nodes over 4 TB are a pain to manage (for
rebuilds, repair, compaction, etc.) with size-tiered compaction and basically a single table
schema. However, 1 TB nodes that yield only about 500 GB of usable space can create rings
with just too many nodes (and too expensive for the usable storage). 2 TB seems to be a good
sweet spot to avoid either extreme. However, Eric is correct, there are lots of factors to
weigh in the decision.

Sean Durity – Lead Cassandra Admin

From: Eric Stevens []
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: Per node limit for Disk Space

Those are rough guidelines, actual effective node size is going to depend on your read/write
workload and the compaction strategy you choose.  The biggest reason data density per node
usually needs to be limited is due to data grooming overhead introduced by compaction.  Data
at rest essentially becomes I/O debt.  If you're using Leveled compaction, the interest rate
on that debt is higher.

If you're writing aggressively you'll find that you run out of I/O capacity for smaller data
at rest.  If you use compaction strategies that allow for data to eventually stop compacting
(Date Tiered, Time Windowed), you may be able to have higher data density per node assuming
that some of your data is going into the no-longer-compacting stages.

Beyond that it'll be hard to say what the right size for you is.  Target the recommended numbers
and if you find that you're not running out of I/O as you approach them you can probably go
bigger.  Just remember to leave ~50% disk capacity free to leave room for compaction to happen.

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 1:52 PM Anshu Vajpayee <<>>
Hi All,
I have question regarding max disk space limit  on a node.

As per Data stax, We can have 1TB max disk space for rotational disks and up to 5 TB for SSDs
on a node.

Could you please suggest per your experience what would be limit for space on a single node
with out causing so much stress on a  node?