cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Wille <>
Subject Re: disable compaction if all data are read-only?
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2016 13:34:55 GMT
You still need compaction. Compaction is what organizes your data into levels. Without compaction,
every query would have to look at every SSTable.

Also, due to commit log rotation, your memtable may get flushed from time to time before it
is full, resulting in small SSTables that would benefit from compaction.

On Apr 8, 2016, at 5:49 AM, Yatong Zhang <<>>

I am using leveled strategy. What if my data are 'append-only'? I mean there are always new
data but will be never changed once written to cassandra?

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Pedro Gordo <<>>
Hi Yatong

My understanding is that if you have a table whichi read-only and hence doesn't receive any
writes, then no SSTables will be created, and hence, no compaction will happen. What compaction
strategy do you have on your table?

Best regards

Pedro Gordo

On 8 April 2016 at 10:42, Yatong Zhang <<>>
Hi there,
I am wondering if it is possible to disable compaction when all my data are read-only?

View raw message