cassandra-user mailing list archives

From <>
Subject RE: cross DC data sync starts without rebuilding nodes on new DC
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 13:26:24 GMT
What do you mean by “automatically starts syncing?” Are you seeing streaming of existing
data or just the addition of new, incoming data? Do you have repairs running as part of your
automated maintenance, perhaps?

I would expect that new, incoming data would be replicated to the new DC after the “alter
table.” But I would not expect any streaming of existing data unless repairs are running

Also, does your nodetool status reflect the new DC?

Sean Durity

From: Vijay Patil []
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 2:27 AM
Subject: cross DC data sync starts without rebuilding nodes on new DC

I have configured new DC as per instructions at below link.

After completing step 7.a (which is altering keyspace with desired replication factor for
new DC) data automatically starts syncing from existing DC to new DC, which is not expected
because auto_bootstrap is false on all nodes (existing as well as new DC).

Any idea why it's happening?
If this is the desired behaviour then what's the purpose of rebuilding each node on new DC
(step 7.b)?

Cassandra version is 2.0.17 on all nodes in both DC's and I am using GossipingPropertyFileSnitch.